International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2021
As you may know, 13th October has been set aside by the United Nations as International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction. In furtherance of our mandate, we propose to float a blast of campaigns and interactive sessions to mark this day and showcase the impact of collaborations. The theme is ‘Effectiveness of partnerships in accelerating disaster risk governance in Nigeria.’ We invite you to deliver a few remarks to our audience at the event.
This year’s International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is all about governance. COVID-19 and climate emergencies are telling us that it’s time to raise our game if we want to leave a more resilient planet to future generations.
We hope to issue a communique that reflects some or all of the following concerns:
- Are our actions and partnerships helping to reduce the numbers of people affected by disasters and how are we doing this?
- Do we volunteer open and timely access to risk maps, risk profiles, risk data and information to inform plans and decisions that prevent or mitigate disasters?
- Do we collect data on disaster affected persons by age, gender and disability?
- Are we facilitating coordination between various actors to reduce exposure and displacement?
- Have we been able to support, directly or indirectly, improvements in the standard of housing and/or support “build back better” initiatives in hazard-prone locations?
We hope you will mark October 13, 2021 in your calendar and join us on our proposed event as a Distinguished Guest of Honour.
01:00 PM Africa/Lagos
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).